Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Seasons

Why is it said that it is often the darkest before dawn? Why do we read about the turn from ashes to beauty in Scripture? Why is it that the rainbow follows the storm?

I think of Christ’s death and resurrection as this same “mystical” phenomenon. A mysterious wonder that Scripture portrays as sort of just the way life is, physical or eternal. A baby is born a sinner to be offered a gift of redemptive life. A child becomes a better reader, after she has trudged through the dreaded hours of phonics. A teenager finding their thrill in a kiss, following the long awaited and sought after romance. The “Happily Ever After” end of a fairytale is made more enjoyable by the rough roads it took to get there (Some would of course disagree with this statement and would have appreciated a positive story in its’ entirety). All of these are negatives that eventually become positives or at least have the option of becoming positive.

My heart often yearns for the happy, yours too right? Despite this fact, my soul is worn day after day through the trials of this temporal life that often doesn’t feel very temporal at all. My greatest solace comes through the fact that Jesus Himself declared this way of life, the only way with His perfect example. I am not saying that we cannot find our joy, even throughout dark days but I am saying that the life you are living is normal. I’m living it too. We all are. Christ prayed in the garden with blood dripping down his skin, because of his stress load and burdened body, mind, spirit. Don’t feel alone in your storm. Rain drops fall on various heads each day.

You may say, “I’m not experiencing rain drops, no way, I have a torrential current trying to wash me away with its’ negativity.” To that I would say, do you remember when it was sunny? This is actually hard for me. I tend not to look back unless it’s negatively searching for a good point in an argument or to just dwell on what could have been. I’m sure that I’m not alone in that either. Remember the good times though? God’s faithfulness?  He is still there. He is still here with me. The clouds are dark and sorrowful often times, but they don’t empty in vain. I have grown because of the rain in my life, just as we see displayed out our windows. The life that comes following the rain in all of creation, including our human lives, causes us to be reminded of the rhythm of God’s timing. It’s perfect. It’s blessed when following obedience.

I don’t know why God led me to write this today. Probably because I personally needed to be reminded of His faithfulness, the normality of the storm, and in help to the reader that doesn’t know if she can make it to the rainbow. I promise, love, it is coming. Spring will always return upon winter’s close. Victory always follows defeat and lies cannot hold the truth at bay. God will be glorified on this earth and He draws near to those who draw near to Him. God is good. Your life will be again too. He promised.

“Then the angel spoke to the women. "Don't be afraid!" he said. "I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He isn't here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen.” Matthew 28:5-6a


1 comment:

  1. "I have grown because of the rain in my life"

    My favorite part. So true.

    ReplyDelete